It’s not muscle pain

On February 17th I was out with Jeremy (or Mr Tall since the internet prefers this handle nowadays) and my leg had been hurting. I had been to the gym two days before so naturally I thought it was a cramp of some sort. It was right in my calf. When I first began running longer distances I would cramp up after 12k . I stretched and stayed off it.

By Tuesday the 21st it still wasn’t any better but I went and saw Hailee and we did a lot of stretching and rolling out and it finally felt a bit better. I wasn’t thrilled with how sore I had been feeling but it was starting to subside so it must be muscle pain.

Thursday…my leg had swelled up. I cancelled my gym session made earlier dinner plans and went home as fast as I could so ice my leg . I had quite the cankle going on. I must say.

By Friday morning the 24th I could barely move my leg let alone walk normally. My current temp job does involve a lot of sitting..but I couldn’t cross my legs. I emailed my mum and said “You need to take me to the clinic I’m really uncomfortable and I don’t think I’ll be able to work tomorrow at this rate” My other job as you know is running retail which involves a lot of standing. I couldn’t even put my foot down as it began to pull in the back and hurt.

My mum picked me up …by the 3rd clinic I finally saw a doctor I explained my symptoms and he proceeded to take my blood pressure and examine my leg

“Are you on the birth control pill?” He asked in a rather condescending tone.

“Yes…I am what does that have to do with anything?”

“You probably have a blood clot. You need to go to emergency and get an ultra sound to be sure”

My jaw dropped. A blood clot? No way. But I fit the bill. Pain lasting for more then 5 my calf and severe swelling. I got the note from the clinic doctor , went home to use the washroom and drop off my work stuff and proceeded to Burnaby general.

I was there for about 2 and a half hours. I checked into emergency and was sent to an area called Supertrac. I firmly believe that going to the clinic first was the best idea since it allowed me to by pass a few things. Especially since my note says “ultrasound”

The nurse did a similar routine and had me try and bend my leg to which I winced as I tried to. Asked me questions if I smoke, any recent travel etc. They took my weight, did some blood work and gave me a blood thinner before sending me home. Which by the way was injected into my stomach and I did not appreciate.

By the time I got home it was about 9:30 I had a late dinner and proceeded to go right to bed. I was so sore and uncomfortable I was tearing up. I had the magic bag on my leg my dad’s bolster to elevate it and was even sleeping in my sisters room so I could avoid the stairs (I sleep in the downstairs of our house) but unfortunately there wasn’t much I could do for the pain.

The doctor I saw at the hospital said they had scheduled me for an ultrasound and were also confident it was a clot but needed the ultrasound to confirm and where it was exactly in my leg. They said they would call me around 9am. They called me at 7:30am…

I checked in at 12:30pm and proceeded to walk down to imaging. My technician was very nice and we had a lovely chat about the tattoo on my ankle. Ultrasounds aren’t that bad..but I did feel odd still wearing my shirt as she ran the wand up and down my bare leg.

“Yep it’s a clot we’re going to have you talk to another doctor about medication”

I met the lovely Dr Hertz and we proceeded to chat about blood thinners and the risks that come with taking them. I was told them to immediately stop taking the birth control pill. No one can say for sure that was the root cause but I don’t smoke and that’s usually the next one they focus on. So this means no blood donations and my birthday tattoo plans are on hold ….well boo.

I came home and then spent the weekend with my feet up trying to find ways to distract myself from the discomfort I was feeling.

. It’s been a month now and my leg is finally calmed down and I’ve been back at the gym for a few weeks now. My 100 days has obviously been derailed and I unfortunately had to back out of my first race ever because a week out I couldn’t guarantee that I’d be able to walk normally let alone run. I even worked a shorter Saturday shift just to avoid standing after a week of taking blood thinners.

So what now? I’m not sure. I’ve made progress since this lovely hospital adventure in that I’m down inches. I need to sit and think and look at my goals reassess and figure out a plan. The cogs in my head are turning as yet again try and find ways to stay motivated. Needless to say my depression has been looming over me as I job hunt AGAIN.

But I’m writing this to share the fact that sometimes your body is trying to tell you something and you may think it’s okay to ignore it, when in fact that’s the last thing you should be doing. Blood clots in particular can get quite scary if left untreated and I shudder to think what could have happened had I not gone in when I did.

Fingers crossed I can stop taking this medication in May!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s